Below is Action A Go Go’s annual year-end “mixtape,” a collection of some of the most emotionally affecting and just plain badass tracks released between January and December. These selected compositions allowed us to relive our favorite gaming moments, re-envision those major TV events, and recall this year’s cinematic highlights.
What to expect from these 33 awesome tracks:
- Marco Beltrami’s dystopia blues from the slightly familiar yet futuristic world of LOGAN.
- 80s-inspired party jams from Devo’s Mark Mothersbaugh (THOR: RAGNAROK) and German rappers B-Lash, MC Bogy, and Die Atzen (PLAN B).
- Devolver Digital’s RUINER video game makes mood music to murder final bosses.
- Michael Giacchino brings youthful energy to the fast-paced teen-comedy adventures of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
- Tyler Bates securing the Composer of the Year title with not one — not two, but three hard as nails tracks from THE PUNISHER, ATOMIC BLONDE, and JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2.
- Hans Zimmer bringing wartime intensity to Chris Nolan’s DUNKIRK.
- Composer John Paesano helping Jessica Jones effectively sneak around corners for MARVEL’S THE DEFENDERS.
- Melancholy with a promise of revenge in Steven Price’s AMERICAN ASSASSIN.
- High-speed, street-level action from John wan Koo’s THE VILLAINESS score.
- The aggressive, medieval folk music of Daniel Pemberton’s KING ARTHUR.
- Stephen Jablonsky returning to the TRANSFORMERS franchise with a melodic guarantee of fantasy and adventure.
- Julien Rey helping Rihanna showcase her dance moves in VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS.
- Michael Giacchino landing his Composer of the Year title with the wintery journeys from WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES.
- Aesop Rock borrows a little street cred to inject BUSHWICK with some urban survival skills.
- And Wonder Woman tears through WWI with the fury and support of Themyscira thanks to Rupert Gregson-Williams.